(This is from a previous post I did about a year ago, but I thought I would spruce it up a bit for ya. If you want to see what I'm talking about click HERE.)
Who doesn't love a great batch of fries?
I will confess that I have been known to request fries, without salt, while in the drive-thru, just to ensure that they are hot! However, I recently discovered that making my own fries is incredibly easy, and taste AMAZING! I can't wait to share with you how I do it, so
Let's Get Started!
PERFECT CRISP FRENCH FRIES:
*Prep Time: 30 min.-1 hour *Cook Time: 10 minutes *Difficulty: Easy *Servings: 4-6
- 4-5 russet potatoes
- Canola oil, enough for 1.5 inches
To get started, you will need to rinse and scrub your potatoes very well.
If you do this step, there will be no need to peel them
Next, Trim the side off of the potato to give yourself a flat edge to cut on.
Then, slice the potatoes long ways.
Then, cut the disks into sticks.
Now you have fries!
Now you will need to put the fries into a large bowl, and cover them with water.
They will need to soak for at least 30 minutes, but an hour + would be better.
What is happening is, the excess starch is being washed from the raw fries,
which will ensure that they get crispy in cooking!
After they have had a nice little soak,
place them on a baking sheet that has been lined with paper towels, and...
Trust me, you DO NOT want to mix water with hot grease.
You will want to fill your skillet or Dutch oven with at least 1.5 inches of oil.
Then, using a spider or slotted spoon, gently drop the fries in.
You will want to do this is batches. I did mine in two.
Let them cook for 6-8 minutes, then remove them from grease and place on the baking sheet.
Once you have cooked all the batches of fries, you will do a second fry for 4 on them.
The first fry is to cook the potato. The second is to get them nice and crispy.
Let the fries drain on the baking sheet lined with paper towels, salt,
plate them up, and ENJOY!
Once you have made your own fries, you may never go back to the golden arches again!
Enjoy this crispy treat tonight with your family, or even just yourself! And as always...
Happy Reading, Happy Eating, and Happy Living,
~The Kitchen Wife~
Perfect Crisp Fries:
*Prep Time: 1 hour *Cook Time: 10 minutes *Difficulty: Easy *Servings: 4-6
- 4-5 russet potatoes, julienned
- Canola oil
- Cast iron skillet or Dutch oven
- Slotted spoon
- Chef's Knife
- Large mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- Paper Towels
- Pour 1.5 inches of oil into your skillet.
- Wash and scrub your potatoes.
- Cut potatoes into matchsticks.
- Place the cut potatoes into a large mixing bowl, and cover with water.
- Allow to set for one hour.
- Turn the fire under the skillet to medium high heat and allow the oil to become hot.
- Remove potatoes from the water and place on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Pat the potatoes dry.
- Then, in small batches place the potatoes in the hot grease.
- Let cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from grease, place back on paper towels, and repeat with next batch.
- Then, repeat the frying of batches one more time. (The first time was to cook the potato, the second one it to get them brown and crispy.)
- Sprinkle with salt and ENJOY!